About this image
Showing slum housing on Union Place, off Old Glasshouse Street (now Southwell Road) in the city. In 1909, the Town Planning Act made it illegal for back-to-back houses to be built anywhere in the country. With the weight of this new law behind him, Philip Boobbyer, the Nottingham Medical Officer of Health, prepared a report early in 1912 for the consideration of the Housing Committee condemning large portions of the City's dwellings. After this report was published a new redevelopment scheme saw these houses demolished and new council houses built. This photograph was taken by the Nottingham City Council Health Department.