About this image
The Gate Hangs Well, on the corner of Brewhouse Yard and Castle Road closed in 1905. It was linked by a series of caves, which were carved out of the sandstone rocks behind it, to The Trip to Jerusalem Inn, which is just out of view on the left. Behind the pub are the walls and bastions of Nottingham Castle (before they were rebuilt in 1877 ?). It has been suggested that the inns here served as breweries for the Castle above, taking their water from The River Leen which ran close by (now culverted underground). Thomas Sandby, the famous Nottingham artist did an illustration in 1741 which shows the area in detail, including trees, Rock Cottage, chimneys and the Gate Hangs Well public house. The Gate Hangs Well is seen here in this copy of a watercolour of an unknown date ( but is possibly mid to late 1800's ?) by T C Moore. The artist was Thomas Cooper Moore (1827 - 1901), who was a nineteenth century painter, watercolourist and pen and ink artist who first trained as an architect before dedicating himself to art. He was mainly self taught in this field but later started the first sketching class in Nottingham and was a founder of the Nottingham Society of artists. Most of Moore's landscapes were produced in or around the Nottingham area. During this time and later in the nineteenth century his art was exhibited in Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham and London. T. C. Moore was also the father and teacher of Claude T. S. Moore (1853-1901), who became very well known for his paintings and watercolours of the Thames and other river views. A number of Thomas Cooper Moore's drawings and watercolours are housed in the permanent collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. There are many more of his sketches to be seen on this web-site.