About this image
This view shows a stone effigy of the head of Queen Henrietta Maria. The terrace was completed in March 1863, the date of the Prince of Wales' marriage, hence the name 'Terrace Royal'. The carvings were done by Mr Smith of Nottingham. The carvings on the Clarendon Street frontage are of monarchs or their connections, those on the rear Shakespeare Street side are of Shakespeare and his characters.