About this image
John Newton built this new Bulwell Hall in 1770 and it was first called Pye Wipe Hall (the old hall was known as Bulwell Wood Hall, and was situated at Hempshill). He died November 13th 1820. His son who should have acquired the Estate died twelve days later on the 25th. Upon the death of these, his Grandfather and Uncle, the Rev. Alfred Padley acquired the Estate and Hall by Will. The hall was described by Pevsner as 'a handsome stuccoed house of five bays, two and a half storeys, with a one storey porch, a central venetian window and wings at right angles but connected by curving colonnades'. The house was demolished in 1958, though the parkland is still used for sporting activities, such as Football, Cricket, Golf/Putting and Fishing.