About this image
Showing the street before the demolition of the Walter Fountain. See also NTGM000839. Looking north from the junction with Broad Marsh to the junction of Low Pavement and showing Woolworths, The Sawyers Arms and Marks and Spencers stores. The Walter Fountain was designed by a Mr. Sutton in a Victorian Gothic style in 1866 and commissioned by Mr John Walter, son of John Walter of Bear-Wood, at a cost of £1,000. Mr. Walters was a proprietor of The Times and in 1841 he stood as a Conservative candidate for Nottingham. The main question upon which the election hinged was the new Poor Law which was extremely unpopular with the people. Great excitement prevailed and eventually Mr. Walters was elected by a majority of 238. After Mr. Walters' death his son, John Walters, Junior, also became M.P. for Nottingham. It was demolished in the 1950's when the road was widened. It was located at the junction of Greyfriar Gate, Lister Gate and Carrington Street.