About this image
The Gate Hangs Well, on the corner of Brewhouse Yard and Castle Road closed in 1905. It was linked by a series of caves, which were carved out of the sandstone rocks behind it, to The Trip to Jerusalem Inn, which can be seen on the left. Behind them are the walls and bastions of Nottingham Castle. It has been suggested that the inns here served as breweries for the Castle above, taking their water from The River Leen which ran close by (now culverted underground). Thomas Sandby, the famous Nottingham artist did an illustration in 1741 which shows the area in detail, including trees, Rock Cottage, chimneys and the Gate Hangs Well public house. By 1906 Gate Hangs Well was in a derelict state, and was demolished soon after.