This image can be used commercially
Highbury Hospital, Highbury Vale 1975
Nottingham, Highbury Vale
About this image
The Sherwood Ward and hospital chapel above it. The Sherwood ward was used as a male geriatric unit. The oldest part of the hospital was built in 1815. Before it became a hospital, it was formerly used as a Poor Law Institution, commonly referred to as 'the Workhouse', run by Boards of Guardians. In this, the parish provided basic welfare, shelter and meals in return for work. In the background is the embankment of what was once the Great Northern Railway.