This image can be used commercially
Trent Bridge from the Town Arms, during flooding of the River Trent
Nottingham City Council
Nottingham, Trent Bridge
About this image
Looking over Trent Bridge to the West Bridgford side of the river, showing the land on either side of the West Bridgford approach completely flooded. A bridge has existed at or around the current location since 924 during the reign of Edward the Elder when an oak superstructure was supported by stone piers - with evidence that the site also had a ferry during occupation by the Danes. In 1156, in the reign of Henry II came a stone, gothic arch style bridge, with 17 arch spans in total. This structure remained for a considerable period with reconstruction works dated at 1275 and 1374. The structure sustained considerable damage during the Cromwellian wars, with a great flood further adding to the damage. The bridge as it appears today was constructed over a three-year period between 1868 and 1871, for the price of £36,000. Construction took place alongside the existing bridge, until the completion of the new bridge allowed the older structure to be demolished. Two of the approach spans to the older bridge still remain, next to the road outside County Hall. The bridge was then widened (1924-6) to allow the six-lane capacity that exists today. This view was taken looking from the Town Arms public house. On the left is J M Radford's boat-builders building.