This image can be used commercially
The River Trent frozen at Trent Bridge
Nottingham City Council
16 February 1895
Nottingham, Trent Bridge
About this image
The last freeze of the Trent occurred in Jan-Feb 1895. For 10 days the river was frozen solid and safe for skaters, and a hockey match was held between Newark and Burton-on-Trent, near to Averham Weirs. Here people are skating on the ice photographed from the West Bridgford embankment upstream of Trent Bridge. Although these local inhabitants appear perfectly at ease, several fatalities due to thin ice were reported on the river. See also NCCE000620 of skaters at Newark. A bridge has existed at or around the current location since 924 during the reign of Edward the Elder when an oak superstructure was supported by stone piers - with evidence that the site also had a ferry during occupation by the Danes. In 1156, in the reign of Henry II came a stone, gothic arch style bridge, with 17 arch spans in total. This structure remained for a considerable period with reconstruction works dated at 1275 and 1374. The structure sustained considerable damage during the Cromwellian wars, with a great flood further adding to the damage. The bridge as it appears today was constructed over a three-year period between 1868 and 1871, for the price of £36,000. The architect of the new bridge was M O Tarbotton, with ornamental metalwork by Andrew Handyside of Derby. Construction took place alongside the existing bridge, until the completion of the new bridge allowed the older structure to be demolished. Two of the approach spans to the older bridge still remain, next to the road outside County Hall. The bridge was then widened (1924 - 1925) on the downstream side to allow the six-lane capacity that exists today. The Town Arms Hotel and Turney's Leather Works can be seen on the left of the picture.