This image can be used commercially
Demolition of Albert Street, Bulwell
G D Christian
Christian, G D
About this image
Albert Street ran west from Highbury Road down to the LMS railway (now Robin Hood line). The building on the left edge of the photo was the Albert Street Methodist Chapel. The church hall alongside has already been demolished as has the surrounding houses opening up a view of the Highbury School campus. The building on the left houses the Highbury Boys Senior School on the upper floor and the Highbury Junior School (mixed) on the lower floor with the school hall along side. The building on the right housed the science labs on the upper and lower floors on the far side, with a woodwork classroom on the upper floor near side with a metalwork classroom on the lower floor. This building originally housed a swimming bath, which was most unusual for that time. The bath was filled in and converted into class rooms in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Hidden by that building is a single storey building that was the Highbury Infant School (mixed). The school campus was alongside a factory that at one time was a tannery!