This image can be used commercially
D H Lawrence's name carved into a windowsill
George L Roberts
Roberts, George L
Nottingham High School, Arboretum Street
About this image
Nottingham High School was founded as Nottingham Grammar School by Dame Agnes Mellers in 1513, opening its doors on the Feast of Candlemas in that year. The School was originally situated in Stoney Street, but was moved to its present site between the Arboretum and the Forest in 1868. Its name was changed from that of the Grammar School to the High School in 1868. Since then many alterations and additions have been made. A major addition was a combined swimming pool and dining room, built to commemorate the 450th anniversary of the foundation. Although the school was originally controlled by the Corporation, and then by trustees and was a 'direct grant' school from 1917, it then became fully independent in 1945. It is now a public school with boys ranging from 8 to 19 years old. D H Lawrence won a scholarship to Nottingham High School (1898-1901).