This image can be used commercially
Colliery Screens, Clifton Colliery, Nottingham, c 1895
Nottingham City Council
About this image
This photograph is of the surface 'screens' where larger coal was mechanically graded by size. Those in the picture are on the 'Picking belt' picking out waste rock from the coal before it was loaded into the railway wagons under the screens. The rock or 'Bind' was then disposed of on the colliery waste tips. Clifton, Nos. '1 & 2' pits were originally owned by Clifton Colliery Co., Nottingham. Opened in 1871. The colliery supplied the coal for Wilford Power Station which was situated next to it, as well as domestic fuel. Coal production ceased in the 1960's. It is all now the site of the Queens Drive industrial estate and Retail Park.