About this image
It was built c 1895 as part of the new Great Central Railway, which ran from London Marylebone through Aylesbury, Rugby, Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield, linking up to the old Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. The first coal trains ran between London and Sheffield in 1898, and passenger travel followed in March 1899. The railway had changed its name to The Great Central Railway, and now the network ran from London in the south through the Midlands to the older network in the North between Lincoln, Grimsby, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and Wrexham. In 1923, the GCR was grouped with the GER, GNR, NER, NBR and others to form the London North Eastern Railway, in 1948 British Railways was formed. The line closed in the 1960's, a victim of 'Beeching's Cuts' in the national rail network. The bridge has since been demolished.