This large dwelling with its glass conservatory stood within extensive grounds on the north side of Broadgate, although in later years much of the surrounding land was given over to residential development with Cedar Avenue occupying the area between Broadgate and the house by the end of the 1930s. In due course, The Cedars itself was demolished and by 1968 the site was occupied by a development of low-rise flats called Cedar Court.
In the early 1880s the house was occupied by Thomas Black Esq, while it served as a hospital during World War One, Robert Mellors recording in his Old Nottingham Suburbs: Then and Now that:
'The Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital, on the premises of 'The Cedars' (kindly lent by Mrs Poyser), has been managed by the Beeston Branch of the British Red Cross, with Mrs Spendlove as Commandant. It accommodates 26 wounded soldiers, and has been full since it was opened in 1915.'