The house was built for Mr Arthur Barnes.
'The Plan has been thought out with great care to provide internal comfort and convenience. The reception-rooms, hall, and principal bedrooms have been heated, in addition to the fireplaces, by hot water (the pipes being placed behind the plinths). The staircase, half-timber porch, and the principal woodwork on outside are executed in well-seasoned English Oak. The exterior is built with hand-dressed and pressed bricks, and having Hollington stone dressings to windows, etc. The work has been carefully carried out by Mr Youngman, contractor, of Long Eaton, and the architect is Mr Arthur W. Brewill, of Angel-row, Nottingham'. (From The Building News, Volume 60 no.1887, 6 March 1891).