Interior view showing the Everingham tomb and the north side of the chancel. The Everinghams were onetime lords of the manor.
A 1902 article on the monuments in Laxton Church in the 'Transactions of the Thoroton Society' includes the following: 'The tomb in the north arcade of the chancel, upon which three effigies repose, is of exceptional form and character, but bears evidence of having been cut down and mutilated at an early date to form a bed for the present figures. There are indications that in its original state it was canopied in its upper part, on similar lines to the tomb of Amyer de Valence in Westminster Abbey, or to the Percy shrine in Beverley Minster. Its architectural details suggest its erection about 1250; but the elaborate figure-corbels, whose original office was clearly that of terminals to hood mouldings, point to a somewhat later date.'