About this image
This view shows the rock gardens and lily pond taken from the memorial and looking west. University Park and the Trent building can be seen to the left of the smoking chimney. In 1920 Jesse Boot purchased, and presented to the City, 36 acres of open land that lay along the northern side of the Victoria Embankment alongside the River Trent, opposite Plaisaunce (Jesse Boot's summer house which was demolished in 1961). The 'New Park' was laid out with grass and trees, and provided a barrier against flooding as well as a pleasant walkway alongside the river. As part of the development an imposing war memorial gateway was built, with the aid of funds from Jesse Boot. The gardens were opened on 11 November 1927.