This image can be used commercially
Theatre Square, Nottingham
Nottingham Historical Film Unit
About this image
Looking west towards Parliament Street, showing the Westminster Building, built in 1909 on the corner of Wollaton Street, then the Hippodrome Music Hall (later the Gaumont Cinema), then the Theatre Royal, built in 1865 by C J Phipps. In the centre of the square stands the statue of Samuel Morley. Morley was MP for Nottingham and Bristol, and a campaigner for Nonconformist emancipation and the principal benefactor of Morley College for adult education. He died in 1886. The tall chimneys behind the music hall belong to the Talbot Street Electricity Station. The railings in the foreground run around the entrance to public toilets.