This image can be used commercially
Cedars Hospital, Sherwood
About this image
A plaque commemorating the use of the Cedars Hospital for soldiers during the First World War. During this time many temporary hospitals were set up to care for soldiers shipped back from the front line and for wounded civilians. The plaque was presented to the hospital in July 1920 by The War Office. Cedars Hospital was a large house off Mansfield Road donated by Sir Charles Seely in 1897 as part of the Nottingham General Hospital. It originally provided 20 beds for convalescing patients. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital at the Cedars comprised 114 beds. The hospital at the time of this photograph was run by the Nottinghamshire Area Health Authority.