This image can be used commercially
Children's Hospital, Forest House, Chestnut Grove, 1976
Nottingham City Council
Nottingham, Mapperley Park
About this image
Nottingham Children's Hospital was founded as a charitable institution in 1869 by public subscription, with the aim of providing 'for the reception, maintenance and medical treatment of children of the poor under ten years of age'. Its official title was the Free Hospital for Sick Children but it was also known as 'St Lucy's', as the first nursing staff were recruited from the Sisters of St Lucy. Its first home was Russell House, Postern Street, Nottingham, a property presented by the daughter of the architect, T.C. Hine. Despite the additions of a new wing and an isolation block, the property was soon found to be inadequate and, in 1869, the hospital moved to Forest House, Chestnut Grove, to accommodation given by the lace manufacturer, Thomas Birkin. In 1978, the Children's Hospital closed and its occupants became the first in-patients of University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre. The premises occupied by the Children's Hospital became the headquarters of Nottingham Health Authority.