About this image
An inn had stood on this sight for many years when it was rebuilt by Watson Fothergill in 1887-88. He later extended and added to the hotel in 1897. With its massive central tower with dark wooden gables and a Bavarian balcony with a dark wood balustrade, it was a major landmark in Nottingham city centre until its demolition in the late 1960s. It was replaced by the concrete 1960s style 'Littlewoods' shop.