This is a view of the Co-operative supermarket on Carlton Road looking North East. The car park on the left of the picture is on the site of Beauchamp Street.
This site was formerly the Kitchens and Dining Centre for Hogarth Infants and Junior School which was further up Carlton Road.
From the 1770's many co-operative enterprises were tried throughout the length and breadth of the country. Many of these early ventures failed but in 1844 a group of hand loom weavers from Rochdale found the right combination and formed the 'Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society', who are now regarded as the oldest retail co-operative in the world. News of the Rochdale example spread throughout the country and very soon many others were eager to emulate and reap the benefits from this novel method of trading. 1850 saw the formation of the Derby Co-operative Society, a group of carpenters and joiners which remained exclusive to members of that profession until 1860. It was not until they introduced open membership that the society began to grow. In the 1860's, waves of new societies sprang up helped along by the second Industrial and Provident Act of 1862 which gave the new co-operative societies the status of limited liability which helped reduce the financial risks involved when setting up a new trading society. Amongst the new societies born in the 1860's were those of Nottingham and Loughborough. (extracted from the informative Long Eaton website)