About this image
In 1893 University College Nottingham established a Department of Agriculture and with the assistance of a joint agricultural education committee made up of local government representatives, the Midland Dairy Institute was opened at Kingston Fields, Kingston-on-Soar, Nottinghamshire in 1895. The Agricultural Department of University College moved to Kingston in 1900 to form the Midland Agricultural and Dairy Institute. In the same year, the Institute's affiliation with University College ended and it became a college in its own right in 1906. Between 1919 and 1928, the college moved to a 100 acre site at Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire. University College established a Faculty of Agriculture and Horticulture and created a Chair in Agriculture in 1943. On 1 April 1947, the Midland Agricultural College became the School of Agriculture of University College. University College became The University of Nottingham in August 1948. By 2001, the University's agricultural faculty had become the Division of Agriculture and Horticulture within the School of Biosciences retaining its base at Sutton Bonington.