This image can be used commercially
The Free School during demolition (the old High School building relics have been removed)
George L Roberts
Roberts, George L
Nottingham, Lace Market
About this image
The former Nottingham High School building had been previously used during World War 2 by the WRVS, and was later occupied by J R Walker Ltd., plumbers and builders merchants before being demolished in 1961, along with others in this area. Nottingham High School was founded as Nottingham Grammar School by Dame Agnes Mellors in 1513, opening its doors on the Feast of Candlemas in that year. The School was originally situated in Stoney Street, but was moved to its present site between the Arboretum and the Forest in 1868. Its name was changed from that of the Grammar School to the High School in 1868.