Oriel window and entrance to no. 1 Duke William Mount, The Park
About this image
The Architect of this large detached victorian house was Thomas Chambers Hine (1814 - 1899). He was engaged by the Duke of Newcastle on many prestigious assignments, notably the planning and development of Park Estate, which took over 30 years to complete and is still the most elite residential area of Nottingham. Perhaps his most important work, however, can be seen in the Lace Market, with his magnificent warehouses and factories. Hine was also responsible for the sympathetic restoration and extension of existing buildings in the City, notably Nottingham Castle, where he converted the gutted shell of a Renaissance palace into the first provincial Museum of Fine Art, and the eighteenth century General Hospital building, to which he added a third storey and Gothic chapel.