This image can be used commercially
Oaklands Mill, behind the Superintendent of the County Lunatic Asylum's house.
Nottingham City Council
About this image
The County Lunatic Asylum's Superintendent's family group portrait sitting in their garden. The County Lunatic Asylum, opened in 1812, for town and county pauper patients. It stood on the east side of Carlton Road, located just in Sneinton, down the hill from the house seen here. See NTGM003389. It consisted of a main block with central offices for administrative purposes, two wings for reception of new cases and detached blocks for the sick and epileptic cases, and had beds for 400 patients. (It was mainly superseded by The Borough of Nottingham Lunatic Asylum in Mapperley which opened (unfinished) on August 3rd, 1880). Oaklands mill seen here in the background was an old postmill; one of many that once stood in the Sneinton area. It was located opposite King Edward's Park. (Its mill yard was later turned into a garden, which the Vicar of St Luke's Church, who lived on St Chad's Road, used as an allotment.)