Nottingham City Council
About this image
This view shows the east side of the memorial arch from the opposite bank of the River Trent. In 1920 Jesse Boot purchased, and presented to the City, 36 acres of open land that lay along the northern side of the Victoria Embankment alongside the River Trent, opposite Plaisaunce (Jesse Boot's summer house which was demolished in 1961). The 'New Park' was laid out with grass and trees, and provided a barrier against flooding as well as a pleasant walkway alongside the river. As part of the development an imposing war memorial gateway was built, with the aid of funds from Jesse Boot. The gardens were opened on 11 November 1927.