Copyright -Nottingham Evening Post
Nottingham Evening Post Group Ltd
About this image
This view shows the re-furbished fountains and ponds, looking west. The statue of Queen Victoria originally stood in Old Market Square on Beast Market Hill and was moved to the memorial gardens in 1953. In 1920 Jesse Boot purchased, and presented to the City, 36 acres of open land that lay along the northern side of the Victoria Embankment alongside the River Trent, opposite Plaisaunce (Jesse Boot's summer house which was demolished in 1961). The 'New Park' was laid out with grass and trees, and provided a barrier against flooding as well as a pleasant walkway alongside the river. As part of the development an imposing war memorial gateway was built, with the aid of funds from Jesse Boot. The gardens were opened on 11 November 1927.