Nottingham City Council
Waverley Street entrance - General Cemetery
About this image
Showing H Seely Whitby and Matthew Holland, the gentleman in the peaked cap, who was Nottingham's last survivor of the charge of the light brigade. He is standing where he was to be buried after his death in December 1912. For the relationship between Mr Seely Whitby and Matthew Holland, and the report of his death see Nottingham Evening Post 14th December 1912. (A Mr Henry Whitby, Collar Maker, 6/13 Royal Artillery is listed as being a recipient of a medal during the Indian Mutiny so perhaps could be him?) The Indian Mutiny, or Sepoy War was an episode in 1857 when Indian soldiers killed their British officers and tried to expel the British from India. The Crimean War lasted from 1854 to 1856. It was fought between Russia and an alliance of the United Kingdom, France, the Ottoman Empire joined somewhat tardily by Piedmont-Sardinia. The majority of the conflict took place around the Crimean peninsula on the Black Sea. (In 1908 the Dorothy Boot Homes were built, for veterans of the Crimean War and Indian Mutiny.) The Cemetery seen here was set up by the Nottingham General Cemetery Company established by a special Act of Parliament for which Royal Assent was given on 9th May 1936 and comprised of fourteen acres. A further four acres was added under the 1845 Enclosure Act and is shown on the Enclosure Award Map of 1865. Dissenters' extensions were added in 1865 both with their own mortuary chapels, and have since been demolished. The cemetery is also noted for Canning Terrace; almshouses and a gatehouse to the General Cemetery, built 1837-40 by S S Rawlinson.