This image can be used commercially
The Bagthorpe, or Basford Waterworks - Pumping station reservoir
Nottingham City Council
The NE corner of Haydn Road - Hucknall Road
About this image
The Bagthorpe, or Basford Works, were situated near the junction of Hucknall Road with Haydn Road on a site of about three acres. The Works were established in the year 1857, and extended in 1868. Water was obtained from three wells each about 110 feet deep, connected by driftways, which were sunk in the Bunter beds of the New Red Sandstone. The yield from this source was prolific, and in its day the Works were capable of meeting all requirements of the expanding, highly populated area around Basford. The tudoresque, dutch gabled, original buildings do not now exist, being demolished in 1973, but water is still pumped from the site, using submersible pumps at the bottom of the wells. The site is still used by the water authority, now Seven Trent Water, as a storage depot.