About this image
The Great Northern Railway Station was designed by T C Hine. The Great Northern Railway main line ran from London to Doncaster and was opened in c 1852, though a London to York scheme had been proposed as early as 1827. The Great Northern (Low Level) was erected in 1857. It was closed to passengers on May 22nd, 1944, although it did remain open to goods until and served latterly serving as a parcels depot until 1988 handling a million packages per annum.