This image can be used commercially
The last train (loco no. 67363) through Thorneywood Station - The Nottingham Suburban Railway
H B Priestley
Priestley, H B
Marmion Road - Thorneywood Station, looking north
About this image
In 1886 a group of Nottingham Businessmen formed the Nottingham Suburban Railway Company to build a 3.25 mile line from a junction with the GNR at Trent lane to a junction with the latters Derbyshire line east of Daybrook station. Engineering work was heavy and costly, four tunnels, Sneinton, Thorneywood, Sherwood and Ashwells were needed and even so, the line rose continuously from Trent Lane on gradients of 1 in 49 and 1 in 50 to the southern end of Sherwood tunnel. Although providing a shorter route than the line via Gedling, the gradients proved an obstacle to most of the heavy traffic. Local traffic never developed as anticipated. Electric trams soon became a competitor and passenger traffic ceased on 13 July 1916. Bomb damage during World War 2 resulted in the line being severed south of Thorneywood. The line between Thorneywood and Daybrook remained open to goods until August 1st, 1951. (Taken from 'The Development Of Nottinghams Railways' by J.P Wilson).