This image can be used commercially
Track laying for the electric tram system
J W Briggs
Briggs J W
Long Row - Market Street
About this image
Nottingham first introduced horse drawn trams on 17th September 1878 when the Nottingham and District Tramways Company opened its first routes from the City to Trent Bridge, (although horse drawn buses were operational as early as 1848). This evolved into the Nottingham Corporation Tramways. Electrification followed with the first Electric Trams operating in January 1901 and within 2 years over 100 trams were in service on 8 lines. Motorbuses were first introduced in 1906; three double deck motorbuses were purchased to operate to Carlton, (they were uncomfortable and unreliable and were withdrawn in 1908). A major expansion of the system became necessary and it was decided again to use motorbuses and trolleybuses in 1926. The Parliament Street depot as we know it today was opened in June 1928. The diesel bus had proved its worth and by 1935 there were no more conversions from tram to trolleybus, the trolley bus fleet having reached its peak at 106 vehicles; the largest fleet in the country. The trams finally gave way to progress with the last tram (to Arnold) running in September 1936.