About this image
The 'Exchange' (top of picture) was completed in 1726 but, by 1815, it needed considerable repair and remodelling. In the year 1877, the Corporation decided to move, from the old Council House in Weekday Cross, but, their needs were not satisfied and they soon had to use temporary accommodation, for Council matters. In the year of their move, the Corporation found that further repairs and alterations were necessary, on the 'Exchange' and, until the work had been done to remodel and reinstate the building, it was decided to remove the great amount of 'fine oak' panelling which had covered the walls and, for a time, this was stored at Wollaton Hall. The continuing dissatisfaction, relating to Corporation Members accommodation, continued and, in September 1920, the Estates Committee were pressed to come up with a scheme for the site the 'Exchange' stood on. The idea of a new complex was approved by the Council on 1st. December 1924 and the contract was let in May 1925. The Council House now stands on this site which was once part of Nottinghams 'great Market Place' where, from medieval times, right through the 1920`s a Saturday market was held here as well as the October 'Goose Fair' which, in the 19th. Century became a fun fair. Street names like The Poultry, Cheapside and Beastmarket Hill recall the use of the area as a market.