This image can be used commercially
Mosley's Buildings (?) Bobbers Mill, Nottingham
Nottingham City Council
Nottingham, Bobbers Mill
About this image
Bobbers' Mill was an old corn mill on the River Leen, using the river as its power source. Mentioned in the Borough Records in 1438. The mill has given its name to the area, since absorbed into the urban spread of the city. These old buildings were located at the current site of the junction of Darley Avenue and Plantation Side. Note the high archway between the houses. This suggests that the archway allowed the passage of high loaded wagons (usually hay carts), so the houses may have housed agricultural workers, perhaps from the corn mill. There is an interesting gulley in the foreground. Magnification of the picture reveals old stone or brickwork in it which has perished, so this perhaps served as a well.