Old town walls revealed in the cellar, during the demolition of the Three Crowns, Parliament Street,
About this image
The old town walls were revealed at the junction of Upper Parliament Street, Market Street and Theatre Square when the Three Crowns was demolished for the road widening (see NTGM001336). There are two periods of fortification in Nottingham's long history. In 926 Edward the Elder, Alfred the Great's warlike son, captured Nottingham from the Danes. He built a bridge across the Trent and fortified the town. The lines of his defences run, more or less along Bridlesmith-gate, Victoria-street, Goose-gate, Hockley, Fisher-gate, Hollow Stone, High Pavement, and Middle Pavement. The market of this little town was at Weekday Cross, and the church stood on the site of St. Mary's. That was all there was of Nottingham till the Conquest. After the establishment of Nottingham Castle the French followers of Peveril settled in a suburb round the Castle which became known as the French Borough, and was ruled under different laws to those which obtained in the older or English Borough. The whole town was burnt in 1141 during King Stephen's reign, and when Henry II. came to the throne in 1154 he encouraged the townsfolk to build another and much more extensive fortification than the Edward the Elder defence. Starting at Postern-street, the line of this defence is roughly down Park Row, Parliament Street, St. John's Street, Count Street, Carter Gate, Fisher Gate, Hollow Stone, High, Middle and Low Pavement, Lister Gate, Walnut Tree Lane.