This image can be used commercially
Councillors Inspecting the Old Trent Bridge prior to demolition c 1869
Nottingham City Council
Allen, R and Sons
Trent Bridge -River Trent
Nottingham, Trent Bridge
About this image
This picture shows the old medieval bridge, and also shows the old Town Arms building which was also rebuilt at a later date. The view is looking across the river from the West Bridgford side. A bridge has existed at or around the current location since 924 during the reign of Edward the Elder when an oak superstructure was supported by stone piers - with evidence that the site also had a ferry during occupation by the Danes. In 1156, in the reign of Henry II came a stone, gothic arch style bridge, with 17 arch spans in total. This structure remained for a considerable period with reconstruction works dated at 1275 and 1374. The structure sustained considerable damage during the Cromwellian wars, with a great flood further adding to the damage. This is the bridge that can be seen here. The bridge as it appears today was constructed over a three-year period between 1868 and 1871, for the price of £36,000. The architect of the new bridge was M Ogle Tarbotton (who is probably in this picture), with ornamental metalwork by Andrew Handyside of Derby. Construction took place alongside the existing bridge, until the completion of the new bridge allowed the older structure to be demolished. Note the cranes in place in this picture, behind the old bridge. Two of the approach spans to the older bridge still remain, next to the road outside County Hall. The bridge was then widened (1924 - 1925) to allow the six-lane capacity that exists today.