Crowds crossing Trent Bridge, heading to Nottingham Forest Football Club's Ground (centre left)
About this image
Looking towards Trent Bridge Cricket Ground and West Bridgford. Showing the bridge before it was widened in 1924, and showing the land on the right which would eventually be the location of County Hall. The wasteground on the left would shortly be the site of the Industrial Exhibition, and to its left is A J Witty's Boat Yard. Behind this is the corner of the fence surrounding Nottingham Forest's ground. A bridge has existed at or around the current location since 924 during the reign of Edward the Elder when an oak superstructure was supported by stone piers - with evidence that the site also had a ferry during occupation by the Danes. In 1156, in the reign of Henry II came a stone, gothic arch style bridge, with 17 arch spans in total. This structure remained for a considerable period with reconstruction works dated at 1275 and 1374. The structure sustained considerable damage during the Cromwellian wars, with a great flood further adding to the damage. The bridge as it appears today was constructed over a three-year period between 1868 and 1871, for the price of £36,000. The architect of the new bridge was M Ogle Tarbotton, with ornamental metalwork by Andrew Handyside of Derby. Construction took place alongside the existing bridge, until the completion of the new bridge allowed the older structure to be demolished. Note the cranes in place in this picture, behind the old bridge. Two of the approach spans to the older bridge still remain, next to the road outside County Hall. The bridge was then widened (1924 - 1925) to allow the six-lane capacity that exists today.