This image can be used commercially
Clifton Colliery, Colliery Road
Nottingham City Council
Morel, H L
About this image
Caption reads 'Hard coal face spragged and timbered ready for hole-ing'. Clifton, Nos. '1 & 2' pits were originally owned by Clifton Colliery Co., Nottingham. Opened in 1871. The colliery supplied the coal for Wilford Power Station which was situated next to it, as well as domestic fuel. Coal production ceased in the 1960's. It is all now the site of the Queens Drive industrial estate and Retail Park.