1914-18 Memorial to the Robin Hood Battalions of the Sherwood Foresters - St Mary's Church
Nottingham City Council
Nottingham, Lace Market
About this image
The Territorial Army was immediately mobilised on the outbreak of World War 1, and the original four Sherwood Foresters Territorial Battalions, the 5th, 6th, 7th (Robin Hoods) and 8th, formed the 139 (Forester) Infantry Brigade in the 46 (North Midland) Division. In September the Territorial Army was doubled and almost overnight the 2/5th, 2/6th, 2/7th (Robin Hoods) and 2/8th Battalions of the Regiment were formed from the original Battalions, and were made up into the 178 (Forester) Infantry Brigade of 59th (North Midland) Division. The cost of the war in lives was high, as shown on the War Memorials throughout Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. There can hardly have been a village or city street that did not produce men to serve in all the Sherwood Foresters Battalions - 11,409 of whom did not return.