This image can be used commercially
South Notts Hussars, Theatre Square
T Wallis Gordon
Gordon, T Wallis
About this image
The history of the South Nottinghamshire Hussars Yeomanry begins in 1794 with the formation of the Nottingham Troop under the command of Ichabod Wright. Further Troops were subsequently formed in Holme Pierrepont, Bingham, Wollaton and Watnall, with five Troops being regimented as 'The Southern Regiment of Nottinghamshire Yeomanry' in 1826. On several occasions they were called out in support of the civil powers to quell civilian unrest, most notably the Luddite, Chartist and Reform riots. Other than these disturbances the period until 1900 was occupied with training, which the Regiment became acknowledged as one of the finest Yeomanry Cavalry Regiments of the time. (information from www.army.mod.uk) The South Notts. Hussars wear the distinctive Oak Leaf cap badge.