About this image
Mortimer House was designed by Nottingham's renowned architect Watson Fothergill. The row of shops and offices, was built in 1883 for Mr. Tate. The roof line is extremely varied and complex as the building runs down the slope between Hounds Gate and round the corner into Castle Gate. A square tower dominates the top end, while a rounded turret caps the lower end. The style is less Gothic and more Old English vernacular, or even a touch northern European - Fothergill was greatly influenced by Continental architecture, particularly the buildings of Germany, which shows in the building seen here. At the time of this picture, it was used as a public house, but had previously an antiques shop and a tea rooms.