This image can be used commercially
Fragment of iron bands, Castle Hill Excavations, Thurgarton, 1949
C E Coulthard
Coulthard, C E ?
About this image
A number of iron bands approximately in the relative positions in which they were found in 1949 by the late Mr F Hind and other members of the Nottingham Field Club. These were buried in a low mound approximately 22ft in diameter at the top of Castle Hill. The top right hand band is less accurately placed then the others and has been repaired and supported on a perspex framework by the late Mr G F Campion, who was also responsible for the removal and mounting on their bases of the other bands. The bands have numerous nails projecting inwards and some show faint traces of wood cells on the inside; they differ somewhat and are about 7 x 4 x 3 inches with a sloping top. One or two seem to have been packed up by skerry fragments to keep them level with the others. The mound contained numerous potsherds of three Saxo-Norman types (including lemon glaze) and other objects of similar date, and seemed to have at one time enclosed beside the iron banded horizontal timber structure a wood object somewhat resembling a rimless wheel with spokes bent like a five armed swastika. This was rather over 1 foot in diameter and set on edge in the earth. No metal objects were found near it. All the small finds in the mound appeared to be of 9th - 11th century.