The Victorian mansion, Bestwood Lodge, was built for the Duke of St Albans in 1862-5 by S S Teulon. The mansion was built in brick in the Gothic style, and was altered in 1867. In 1885 Bestwood Lodge was completed, under the direction of the 10th Duke of St Albans and further enlarged in 1896. Among royal visitors entertained by his Grace were Edward the Prince and Princess of Wales on the occasion of the opening of Nottingham Castle Museum in 1878. In the park was erected a small church, in which lie the remains of the 10th Duchess, to whom there was a memorial, and a marble medallion carved by the Princess Louise. The whole site is now used as a hotel centre.