The Victorian mansion, Bestwood Lodge, was built for the Duke of St Albans in 1862-5 by S S Teulon on the site of a Royal Hunting Lodge. The mansion was built in brick in the Gothic style, and was altered in 1867.
In 1885 Bestwood Lodge was completed, under the direction of the 10th Duke of St Albans and further enlarged in 1896. Among royal visitors entertained by his Grace were Edward the Prince and Princess of Wales on the occasion of the opening of Nottingham Castle Museum in 1878.
Details taken from the sale catalogue (where image was copied from) in 1940:
'Entrance is given from the courtyard through a porch... off which is the finely proportioned, galleried and panelled Central Hall (about 32ft by 24ft), parquet floor, statley carved stone fireplace and overmantel, radiators and roof lighting.'
The whole site is now used as a hotel centre.