This image can be used commercially
No 2 Shaft at Calverton Colliery, Calverton, c 1948
Nottingham City Council P.R. Department
About this image
Calverton Colliery was developed on the 'concealed' portion of the Derbyshire / Nottinghamshire coalfield and was in operation from 1952 until 1999. Its development was prolonged with plans first being drawn up by B. A. Collieries in 1935 but work was not completed until well after nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947. No 1 shaft was sunk 1937-9 and was initially used for ventilation and manriding by neighbouring Bestwood Colliery. Preparations for the sinking of No 2 shaft commenced in 1944 but the shaft was not finished until 1952 when it reached the Top Hard coal seam at 1,688ft in depth.