The location is the landing stage at the end of Wharf Lane. Looking north with steamer Gorleston prominent in the foreground.
The Gorleston (and its larger sister ship, the Pride of the Yare) were both owned by Eric Jackson and operated pleasure trips in the summer months from Radcliffe to Nottingham Trent Bridge. Three cruises a day used to run at a cost of two shillings (£0.10p) for the round trip. As their names suggest, both vessels had originated in Norfolk, Pride of the Yare having been built at Great Yarmouth in 1892 for the Great Yarmouth & Gorleston Steam Company. They moved to their new home on the River Trent in the early 1950s where they remained a popular attraction until scrapped at the beginning of the following decade.