About this image
The Arboretum was opened to the public May 11, 1852. It comprised seventeen acres, and presented within itself a landscape, Aviary, a People's Park, and an ornamental Garden. The Nottingham Enclosure Act 1845 enclosed fields and meadows, used by the burgesses of freeholders of the City to graze their animals, and to compensate for the loss of open space used for recreation, allotted space for a series of places of public recreation and public walks. One hundred and thirty acres made up of Queen's Walk and Queen's Walk Park, Victoria Park, Robin Hood Chase, Corporation Oaks, St Ann's Hill Avenue, Nottingham Arboretum (seen here), the General Cemetery, Waterloo Promenade, the Church Cemetery and the Forest were created as public open spaces from the enclosures.