This image can be used commercially
Nottingham Castle grounds, Robin Hood Garden, Plaque No 1. 1969
George L Roberts
Roberts, George L
About this image
'Robin Hood and Little John fighting on a bridge'. The bronze statue and those of his Merrie Men, together with four bas-relief bronze plaques depicting incidents in the life of Robin Hood, were given to the City by Nottingham businessman Philip Clay to commemorate the visit to Nottingham of The Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh on the 23rd June 1949 during the City's Quincentenary celebrations. They were unveiled on July 24, 1952, by the Duchess of Portland of Welbeck Abbey. The statue was cast in bronze by former Nottingham School of Art student James Woodford, a Royal Academy artist. The site at the foot of Castle Rock was provided by Nottingham Corporation, the forerunner of the City Council, and designed by architect Cecil Howitt who, almost 30 years earlier, had designed the Council House.